Books on Dyslexia
- "Smart but Scattered" by Peg Dawson, EdD, and Richard Guare, PhD
- "Overcoming Dyslexia" by Sally Shaywitz, M.D.
- "Dyslexia Advocate! How to Advocate For a Child with Dyslexia Within the Public School System" by Kelli Sandman-Hurley
- "The Dyslexia Empowerment Plan. A Blueprint for Renewing Your Child's Confidence and Love of Learning" by Ben Foss
- "The Dyslexic Advantage. Unlocking the Hidden Potential of the Dyslexic Brain" by Brock L. Eide, M.D., MA and Fernette F. Eide, M.D.
- "Special Education Law" by Peter W. D. Wright, Esq., and Pamela Darr Wright, MA, MSW
- "From Emotions to Advocacy. The Special Education Survival Guide" by Pam Wright and Pete Wright
- "All About IEP's. Answers to Frequently asked Questions About IEP." by Peter W.D. Wright, Esq., Pamela Darr Wright, MA, MSW and Sandra Webb O'Connor, M.Ed.
Websites, Training & Information
- understood.org (check out the parent tool kit https://www.understood.org/en/about/search-results?q=IEP%20binder )
- ASDEC - The Atlantic Seaboard Dyslexia Education Center, http://asdec.org
- Parents Place of Maryland, https://www.ppmd.org
- SECAC - Special Education Citizen's Advisory Committee
- IDA - International Dyslexia Association, http://dyslexiaida.org (check out the fact sheets https://dyslexiaida.org/fact-sheets/
- MANSEF.org Maryland Association of Nonpublic Special Education Facilities
- Baltimore Child Magazine July Issues are usually the "Special Needs" edition and will list camps, schools, testing and evaluation centers
- Dyslexia First 100 Days: A Guided Tour - https://www.dyslexiafirst100days.com/
- YouTube Video - What is Dyslexia - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zafiGBrFkRM
Maryland State Department of Education - Partners for Success Baltimore City Public Schools
Michelle Grant - Thornton
443 - 642-3848
Locate an office in your school district
The MSDE division of Special Education/Early Intervention Services (DSE/EIS) maintains a network of local Family Support Services Coordinators that assist parents of children with